10. Follow Through

Arriving in your new destination country is as an exciting experience that we've helped you prepare for with great anticipation. Your next task will be to learn how to integrate yourself into your new "home away from home" both academically and socially. Rest assured, we stay with you every step of the way should you need any help during your course of study. The following are some typical situations where we can step in and offer our assistance:

Upon Arrival at Your Destination

1. Reception

International schools offer a variety of reception services that can make your arrival as easy as possible. We coordinate with them to address your needs accordingly. Some examples are given below:

a) Airport Pickup

  • We can arrange for a school representative to pick you up from the airport upon your arrival. You can then be taken to your temporary or permanent accommodations. The airport pick-up fee is usually payable before arrival, and the school must have a record of your flight details so the representative is given the correct information about your arrival (especially if the flight is delayed or arrive ahead of schedule).

b) Accommodations

  • Temporary Accommodations
    These can be arranged for you until you find something permanent, and can be in the form of a hotel room, youth hostle, etc.
  • Homestay
    This a common option for high school or ELICOS/ESL students, and involves living with a local family in their house. Terms vary but most homestay accommodations include breakfast and dinner.
  • On-Campus Housing
    Many schools that have residences in the form of dormitory rooms, private and shared apartments, boarding houses, and so forth. These usually have to be pre-booked before arriving in your destination country.
  • Off-Campus Housing
    This can secured after your arrival and is usually arranged independently of the school. Forms of off-campus accommodations include: rental houses and apartments, student residences operated by private organisations, and student houses and/or apartments operated by private organizations

c) Additional Information

  • During reception you may also receive information about the environment and local culture, school orientation dates, opening a local bank account, and more.

2. Admission & Orientation

Each school will organize a student orientation before the start of the academic semester. Orientation usually showcases the services and activities that are available to students including academic planning advice, student support services, clubs and societies, and health care.

Note that you will be required to "enroll" during the orientation period. Having an eCoE/CAS/I-20 means that you have already been accepted into the school's study program. You'll just need to select subjects and tutorials at this time to finalize your course load for the semester.

It is expected that all students attend orientation programs to:

  • Receive a formal welcome to the school, college or university;
  • Receive vital information about the new study environment;
  • Have course and enrolment information explained;
  • Be informed about campus life and facilities such as banking and public transport;
  • Have specialised staff available to discuss accommodation options and issues;
  • Be informed about language and learning support;
  • Be informed about visa compliance obligations;
  • Meet new friends, teachers and international student advisers;
  • Become familiar with the library resources and research facilities;
  • Understand what is expected of them as an independent learner in Australia;
  • Have campus tours;
  • Enjoy a range of social activities.

3. During the Academic Year

While you are at school, there are a few possible scenarios that could arise where things are either outside the "norm" or that may not go as smoothly as they should. These include the following:

a) Pastoral Care

You may require that either some or all of your family members accompany you to your destination country, for example if you are under 18 student and need a legal guardian. If this is the case, we can comprehensively process their visa applications for them. Additionally, we can counsel your family and devise a concrete plan for their education, work, healthcare, and social needs for their overall well being during their stay with you.

b) Personal Challenges

During the course of study you may come to us for advice concerning a crisis as follows:

  • Medical - an accident, or serious illness;
  • Financial - you're unable to pay for your studies;
  • Visa Compliance - you have breached the conditions of your visa;
  • Family - a family matter may arise that involves you;
  • Academic - you're having trouble keeping up with your studies.
  • Other

We try our best to help you within our scope.

  • We advise you of your options;
  • We coordinate with your family members back in your home country if appropriate;
  • We help direct your family members to sources of support. For example, if you have been excluded from a school on academic grounds we can refer them to the relevant school contacts (such as student support services) for advice on available appeal procedures.

c) You May Decide to Withdraw

There are several circumstances that could arise during your course of study that may result in your decision to withdraw from your chosen school. This include the following:

  • You're unhappy with the institution or the location you originally selected;
  • You've become homesick;
  • You may need to return home due to a family emergency;
  • Your original course curriculum is inappropriate or insufficient for your needs;
  • You've found a program elsewhere that is better suited for your needs.
  • Other

If you decide to return home or enroll in another institution, be aware of the following:

  • You may need to apply for a refund. If so, you should be aware of the refund policy of the school you are attending. If a you withdraw after the advertised deadline then penalties could apply. Penalties usually include reduction in the refunded money and/or a withdrawal with penalty recorded on a students academic record.
  • The school will inform the immigration department that you are no longer studying at that school. If you do not immediately enroll in another course either at the same school or a different school, your student visa will be cancelled.

If you decide to enroll in another school, be aware of the following:

  • The immigration departments normally require that you cannot be considered for a transfer during the first 6 months of your principal coursework unless there are clear grounds to do so.
  • Once you've received the "go ahead" from the immigration department, you will need to obtain a letter of release from the original school and provide evidence that you've received a full offer from the new institution.
  • If the original school program was eligible for specialized visa processing and the proposed program is not, your student visa may be cancelled if you are not from a low risk home country.
  • In order to avoid any "second thoughts" from occurring in the first place, we thoroughly educate you about each of your preferred schools before you apply for admission. We try to stay up to date with each institution's requirements, strengths & weaknesses, etc. and make sound recommendations based on your personal needs and preferences. This helps to eliminate any confusion or misconceptions you might have well before you ever leave your home country.
Scroll to Top